Tracy Anderson’s Post Pregnancy Workout Review
I wanted to talk some more about the official postpartum workout I chose to do this time. I really didn’t do any kind of specific immediate postpartum workout with our first baby 7 years ago, or with our second just 2 1/2 years ago. I did “workout,”my husband even trained me at the gym and did workouts with me at home, but nothing this well-structured for helping your body to go back to normal after being pregnant for 9 months. Tracy has moves especially designed to get your muscles to come back to skin and to get that flap of skin (where the belly left) to disappear. They are remarkable and get results fast.
Our bodies really take a beating during pregnancy, everything seems to move around – your hips, your pelvic muscles, your abs, and even your spine apparently along with sometimes your ribs. It is just insane! Tracy mentions these things in the video and gives actual specific workout moves/techniques that are supposed to make everything go back to normal. It really works according to women who have done it and stuck with it. And I’m amazed how incredible it feels – it’s hard but in a good way, I can actually feel my abs waking up and responding better each time.
Since I’m still kind of in a fog of sleep deprivation and it’s hard to write thoughts out well, here are some easy-to-read bullet points about the workout dvd you need to know:
- It’s 49 minutes, which honestly… it’s a little too long for my “ideal” workout, but it’s so worth your time. There are workouts out there that are 20 or 30 minutes and then you’re done for the day – I did that for our first baby, but it took a YEAR to lose the excess weight. And my body was still better served by this woman’s “Metamorphosis” workouts I did **after** that… everything got tinier and I developed leaner dancer-type muscles with Tracy’s workout moves than with anyone else’s.
- It’s HARD. I mean really pretty hard, especially that first time you try it after having a baby. Even if you were active, it’s just a very strange feeling to experience how stretched out your muscles got during those 9 months.
- It gets miraculously easier each time you do it! I was amazed there were 2 positions/moves my muscles just would not respond to that first time, and then miraculously they did a tiny bit the next, and then MUCH better the next, and so on. It’s like your muscles’ take time to establish those electric connections that make them move again… so weird, but Tracy mentions that as well when you’re doing it with her.
- It’s totally safe to do this even if you had a c-section. Just wait until your doctor clears you for exercise because this definitely counts as exercise.
- She does all the moves with you. I really respect a trainer who does Each. Repetition. With. You. Most don’t… Jillian Michael’s will do a couple of examples and then stop and coach you through. Tracy does every single move that she’s asking you to do – which for me is extremely motivating and makes me take her more seriously.
- Speaking of repetitions… each move or exercise she has you do, has like 1,000 repetitions each. I’m only slightly exaggerating here. It’s what makes it so hard, your main muscles go into exhaustion phase, and you’re forced to use the lesser used, smaller/supporting muscles you never knew you had. Scientifically this works to make everything pulled in tighter and smaller – literally giving you that dancer’s body most women covet. I’ve experienced this effect with her before after my first baby – after trying Jillian Michael’s and losing the weight, but still not being able to fit into my old clothes. Her workouts were why I didn’t have to buy a new wardrobe.
- You really need to buy this thing. It’s so cheap, and again, it’s gone out of print ( is that the word you use for dvds?) before. It’s so valuable, and yet I got mine I think for $8.00 online.
- I should have said who this woman is 😀 She is a celebrity trainer that has worked with Hollywood clients for over a decade. She’s a little strange (like you’d expect anyone from Hollyweird to be), and wears really skimpy outfits, kind of an exhibitionist really, but her workouts work. It is a crime that you can get her teaching and training right now on dvd for so cheap. Access to her personal training or special gyms in New York is a fortune! And yet regular moms have access to her dvd for almost free (seriously)?! Again, wise women will take advantage of this.
- It’s only for women who really want to work hard. Or find the time. It’s not for women who make excuses and remain overweight. You can make ALLLL the excuses you want, but in the end, it’s only you, your attitude about life, and your will or desire to make the changes you want. No one’s going to force you to take your health seriously, it’s a choice you and only you can make. Or you can continue to make those excuses.
- She tells you to start it RIGHT AFTER you’re cleared for exercise. Most American women just don’t workout right after they’re cleared, and then complain about how unsexy or fat they feel. So the women who use this are the ones who really deserve the body it gives, because it is hard work but feels so good. Be different. Be a woman who chooses NOT to gain too much weight during pregnancy, and then be a woman who chooses to make her body strong again after she’s had her baby.
- It’s actually relaxing if you do it at night. I can’t believe how good and relaxing it feels – I mean it’s a workout and it’s painful, but somehow it feels so slow and nice that I’m ready for a hot bath or shower after, some chocolates and then to sleep.
And the best thing of all??? The endorphins and sense of feeling so accomplished and happy after you’ve completed another workout. It’s simply taking care of yourself. Like brushing your teeth, except the work and difficulty gives you a sense of healthy pride for persevering through the pain or desire to give up. And spiritually it makes me more thankful to God for my health and strength He’s given me. It makes me feel like I’m being a better steward of this body He’s given me instead of neglecting it.
Get it and enjoy it!